Tile uses Bluetooth to communicate with the companion app on your smart phone or tablet. The Tile app "discovers" a Tile and establishes a connection to it using the Bluetooth signal. Once a Bluetooth connection is made between your Tile and mobile device, Tile then uses the location services of your mobile device to communicate up-to-date location information to the app.
Your Tile can be discovered by your smartphone or tablet within Bluetooth range. To always have the best connection and most up-to-date location information when your Tile and device are within range of each other:
- Bluetooth must always be enabled
- The Tile app must always be open and running (foreground or background)
- Location services should be enabled
- "Always" should be checked for users running iOS
- Location Permissions should be toggled on for users running Android
If any of these 3 things are not true, your Tile, app, and device are not communicating with each other.
How Tile’s works to find your misplaced items
Tile works in three steps:
- Ring your Tile
- View your Tile’s last known location on the map
- Enable “Notify when found” to enlist the power of your community
Tile’s other features