Your safety and security are our top priority. Tile Bluetooth trackers are designed for locating lost or misplaced items, not for tracking people.
The Scan and Secure feature enables you to easily scan for and detect nearby Tiles and Tile-enabled devices that may be traveling with you. You can use this feature on iOS or Android, even if you don’t have an active Tile account, as long as you have the latest version of the Tile app on your mobile device.
For the feature to work properly on your mobile device, you need to have Bluetooth, Location or Location Services, and Precise Location set to On. You will be prompted within the app if you need to change these or any other permission settings.
Learn more from our Scan and Secure FAQ.
Access the Scan and Secure feature
For Apple (iOS) users:
The Scan and Secure feature cannot be used on Apple iPad devices.
Customers that do not have the Tile app downloaded
- Download the latest version of the Tile app.
- Tap the Scan icon at the top right corner of the Sign-In screen to access the feature.
Customers Who Already Have the Tile app Installed
- Make sure your app is up to date. You can update to the latest Tile app version here.
- Open the Tile app, then tap on Settings at the top right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down and select Scan and Secure to access the feature.
Complete a scan
The scan requires you to walk/move or drive a certain distance away from your original location (the feature does not work properly if you circle around one location, such as walking inside your home). Your safety while completing the Scan and Secure feature is very important to us. Please use caution while walking/moving/driving when using the feature. If you choose to drive during the scan, please avoid looking at your phone while driving.
Once started, the scan will continue and your phone will not go 'to sleep'. When the scan is complete, please park your car in a safe place before reviewing the results. If you choose to walk or use a bike (or any similar transportation mode such as a scooter) while running the scan, please remain aware of your surroundings and be careful around traffic.
- Select the Scan and Secure tab.
- Tap on Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.
- The scan requires a maximum of 10 minutes of uninterrupted time to run completely and achieve the most accurate results.
- Note: It is not advisable to run the Scan and Secure feature while traveling on public transportation because the scan could detect Tiles or Tile-enabled devices of other passengers.
- At the end of the scan, the app displays the scan results. Learn more about what the scan results mean and how to save the scan results.
If you have ongoing concerns about maintaining your safety, here are some Safety Tips to consider.