Tile collects location data exclusively for accurate finding. We don't share data unless you ask us to, and we won’t sell this data or use it for advertising purposes.
Required for both iOS and Android
Setting up your required permissions and settings
Tile makes it easy to enable necessary settings or permissions if they are not set up properly.
- Open the Tile App.
- Select Enable in the notification banner to turn on the required settings or permissions.
Note: If you previously hit the X button and the banner notification disappeared, force close the Tile app from the recent apps page and relaunch it to view the notification message again.
Permissions and Settings on your iOS device
- In the Tile App, Tap Settings.
- Scroll down to and select Permissions Status.
- You'll see a checkmark next to each permission setting if it is set up correctly.
- If a permission setting has a Warning icon (exclamation point inside a triangle), Tap on the Warning icon. This action will take you to the setting so you can set it up correctly.
Additional notes on iOS settings that can be found under Settings then Tap Tile app
- Background App Refresh (if grayed out)
- Go back to Settings.
- Tap General.
- Tap Background app refresh and Toggle On.
- Location (if grayed out)
- Go back to Settings.
- Tap Privacy.
- Tap Location and Toggle On.
- Motion & Fitness: Set to On if using Smart Alerts.
- Camera turned On. Necessary to use Scan And Secure or change your Tile’s photo.
- Focus modes: If you have not previously set up a Focus mode, you do not need to do anything.
- If you did set up a Focus mode, you will want to check your device’s Focus mode settings to add an exception for the Tile app or you could miss notifications. For more info on Focus mode, we would refer you to Apple’s support page.
Banner shows “Turn On Bluetooth” but Bluetooth is Already Turned On
The notification banner in the Tile app is advising you to “Turn Bluetooth On” but your iOS device’s settings already shows that Bluetooth is Toggled On. You need to turn Bluetooth On from the Control Panel, for instructions visit the Apple Support page.
Permissions and Settings on your Android device
Android device settings are in different places depending on the Android version and manufacturer. Ensure the following settings are enabled.
The easiest way to fix your permissions and settings on Android if you have one is to uninstall and reinstall the Tile app. The Tile app insulation guide will assist you in granting all permissions and settings necessary.
- Notifications Allowed
- Permissions that need to Allowed
- Nearby devices
- Camera (Necessary to use Scan And Secure or change your Tile’s photo)
- Files and media (Necessary if you want to change or upload an existing picture).
- Mobile Data set to Allow background data usage. (If this is turned off, you will not get location updates when you are using a cellular data connection.
- Low Power Mode / Battery Savers should be set to off. Battery settings are recommended to be in a non-restricted state.
Follow these steps to allow Tile to run in the background of your device.
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Battery and Device Care.
- Tap Battery.
- Tap Background Usage Limits.
- Select Never Sleep Apps and Tap the (+) at the top right.
- Select Tile from the list and Tap Add.
- Force close the Tile app and relaunch.
- Google Play services must be enabled on Android devices. Certain phones like Huawei (P40 and above) and Honor (20) phones are not supported.
- Devices that need to side load or use a third party app store (Fire HD, Chrome OS, etc) also are also not supported. Tile Device Compatibility outlines what devices are supported.